United Gold Direct – Gold IRA Review
United Gold Direct are based in Westlake Village, California and have built up a good reputation within the Gold IRA niche in their 25 year history.
How well do United Gold Direct compare to other gold IRA companies?
As per every other gold IRA company we review, the first place we look is the company website to see if we can find any customer testimonials. And although we did find some testimonials they all related to gold bullion purchases as opposed to gold IRA or gold 401k rollovers.
But it also makes sense to look even further than their website to get a more comprehensive picture of what other people are saying about them online. And how they compare to other companies with respect to their Admin & Gold Storage Fees, ease & speed of IRA setup and how their sales people deal with you on the phone.
There are 3 websites you should visit to get a more ‘comprehensive’ overview of how well United Gold Direct deal with, and service their customer/potential customers:
1. Business Consumer Alliance (BCA) Rating: Not applicable.
They don’t feature on the BCA so for us this is a minor drawback compared to other companies we have reviewed.
2. Better Business Bureau (BBB) Rating: A+
The highest rating at the BBB is their A+ rating which we are glad to see that United Gold Direct have achieved. This was achieved by not having any recorded complaints in the last 3 years.
3. Trustlink Ratings: 5 Stars (Based on only 17 reviews)
Good to see they have achieved a 5 star rating but this needs to be balanced with the fact they only have 17 reviews. Some of our highest recommendations have 100’s of positive reviews so United Gold Direct fall well short in terms of Trustlink reviews.
Plus, none of the reviews we read on the Trustlink website are from 2014. The reviews were from 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013. And of the 17 reviews less than 5 were from customers used them for gold IRA or a gold 401K rollover.
IRA Admin & Gold Storage Fees
The IRA custodian is Self Directed IRA Services Inc and the gold is stored with the Delaware Depository.
- $25 account setup fee due on account opening.
- $60 annual account fee due on account opening and annually.
Gold Storage Fees
Depending on whether you choose ‘Co-mingled’ or ‘Segregated’ storage, and the $ amount of the gold you store, the gold storage fees will vary:
Co-mingled storage costs $100 if your gold value is $250,000 or less.
Co-mingled storage costs $1 per $1,000 stored, if value is greater than $250,000
Segregated storage costs $2 per $1,000 of value stored with a minimum charge of $200/year.
Are United Gold Direct the Right Gold IRA Company For You?
It’s important that when you select a gold IRA company they are well proven to provide an exceptional service which is proven by testimonials from existing customers. And although United Gold Direct don’t have any bad reviews to date they are still somewhat short of enough recent testimonials to allow them to knock any of our Top 3 Gold IRA companies off their current positions.
For now we cannot recommend United Gold Direct and we are 100% confident with our Number 1 recommendation Regal Assets which you can read about below.
We Recommend REGAL ASSETS for Your Gold IRA
(Call Regal on 1-866-525-4394)
Why Choose Regal Assets?:
- A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
- AAA rating with Business Consumer Alliance.
- 5 star Customer Service rating from Trustlink AND Preferred Membership Status. (Just check the sheer volume of Testimonials they have here.)
- No IRA fee for the first year and then one small flat fee for subsequent years. (Investments of $10,000+)
- 7 day delivery on any gold investment purchases.
- Gold buy-back policy. And they buy back gold at market rates which a lot of other companies don’t do.
- Very patient, courteous & professional on the phone.
- FREE portfolio analysis